Boyfriend or Girlfriend?

I'm sure by now we have all heard the new song by Justin Bieber: Boyfriend. 

"If I was your boyfriend, never let you go
Keep you on my arm girl, you’d never be alone
I can be a gentleman, anything you want
If I was your boyfriend, I’d never let you go, I’d never let you go"

But what I cant stop thinking about is the vague familiarity to my generations once hot-on-top boy band N'Sync's song: Girlfriend. 

"Why don't you be my girlfriend
I'll treat you good
I know you hear your friends when they say
You should
Cause if you were my girlfriend
I'd be your shining star
The one who'll show you where you are
Girl you should be my girlfriend"

It's funny how these two chorus could easily produce the same exact song. I think little JB is following in the footsteps of another famous Justin: Timberlake. Yes, Girlfriend was sung by N'Sync but tell me that it doesn't remind you at all of N'Synch heartthrob JT. Although the same could be said for Lady Gaga's "Born this Way" which carries the same beat as Madonna's "Express Yourself". Now we should all known better then to cross the Queen herself but Lady G seems to still be doing ok in the crossfire...

Now we all know what happened to N'Sync after "Girlfriend" made its debut. They broke up. From what I've heard and read the Biebs new song has only reached number 2 on the Hot 100 list following FUN "We are Young" who have been enjoying the number 1 spot for the past 5 weeks. I was surprised that with the large amount of Beliebers hasn't skyrocketed their beloved JB to the number 1 spot (billboard.JB). Does this mean the Biebs is in trouble? I mean he can no longer hit those once sung about high notes in "Baby". Where is the 18 year old billionaire headed? As for the other Justin (Timberlake) he went solo for a short while before falling off the face of music and finding himself dabbling in movies. Will the Biebs follow in suit perhaps? 

Guess we'll have to watch the music charts to answer that one! 

Comments

Popular Posts