Ring on in the New Year!

It's hard to believe another year has gone by. To count my blessings I have to start with living in Paris for 3 months at the beginning of the year.

To be able to walk down the same streets that Gabrielle, Coco, Chanel walked and went to work on Rue 31 Cambon was like a dream come true. To be able to attend Paris Fashion Week and sit among all the other socialites felt like I'd stumbled upon someone else's life. I made friendships with people that I keep in touch with to this day and it is all thanks to the city of lights, the fashion capital of the world. When I lived in Paris every day felt like I was waking up in Paradise. Every building, every store, everything had such history and such mystery in it that I couldn't help but pinch myself. I'm so grateful for the experiences I had and the memories that are still vivid in my mind.

When I finally came home from Paris I was ready to jump back into life as a senior studying Fashion Design at the Illinois Institute of Art. I had sketches ready for upcoming collections, I had plenty of inspiration from my time in Paris and I was ready to put it to use. I went back to work at Michael Kors and was happy to be reunited with my coworkers.

As the summer began I was reunited with another person that meant a lot to me, Alex. He and I were separated for 6 months due to my leaving for Paris and then him joining the Marines. Seeing him again felt like the first time all over again.

The year kept passing and things kept changing. I switched jobs with some fellow coworkers and began working for Tory Burch at the Fashion Outlets of Chicago, a new high end outlet mall that opened up. I was beginning work on my senior collection that would prepare me for graduation. I was designing a high end ready-to-wear collection for women aged 45-55 based on 1920's art deco Chicago. It became the only thing my mind could focus on. I had to design the sketches, flats, inspiration, find fabrics to match my high end client, and create all the patterns by hand.

Next thing I knew it was winter break and I was done with my collection along with 3 of the hardest classes I'd have to pass in order to head into my last quarter. As I said goodbye to another year of school I was also saying goodbye to a great love. After nearly 4 years together and memories to last me countless nightmares I was closing a door on someone I thought I was going to spend forever with. It hurts me to this day and it doesn't get any easier to talk about but I cherish the memories we had and I can only hope that this coming year is filled with love, success, and gratitude.

I can not wait for another year to begin. This year I will graduate in March, go to New York to visit a friend I made in Paris, do an internship in Chicago for a design company, turn 21 and spend it on a beach somewhere getting pampered, get a job in fashion design, and hopefully get my own place in either Chicago or New York.

As 2014 begins I hope you follow along in my journey and success!!

Cheers to the new year!

Year in picture review!

Not one day went by that I didn't sit in awe of the Eiffel Tower

It was like a dream come true being in front of 31 Rue Cambon. This was my Mecca.  


The Arc du Triomphe stood in all its glory as I shopped on the Champs Elysees 


Walking down Avenue Montaigne and stopping at the original Dior 


How could you not be inspired while living in Paris?


Standing outside of the Chanel show during Paris Fashion Week


 Being in London was one of the best days I had when overseas 


At the Dior exhibit at Harrods


Seeing Big Ben for the first time


Standing by Parliament 


Standing outside of Buckingham Palace


My home, good ol' Chicago 


Closing the door on a great love. I'll always be in love with him. 
I'll always be haunted by him.


Goodbye 2013!

Comments

Popular Posts