Bitter Sweet Ending

For 11 weeks I was the intern at Chanel Boutique on Michigan Ave. I got my dream of interning for a company that I have been obsessed with since I read my first Coco Chanel book. Chanel is the reason I decided to pursue fashion design as a career and I hope to become as successful as she became.

When I first began this internship I had no idea what I was getting myself into. There was no job description or specific responsibilities. I quickly learned that I had to figure things out for myself. A change from being told what to do constantly at school. I liked the fast paced environment and the constant tasks being handed to me. I was by myself Thursday-Saturday from 11am-6pm. It was my first experience in an upscale boutique working along side well trained associates and managers. I was able to learn from my observations how to approach the clients and take calls from other locations. I became well aware of how differently Chanel was from past jobs.

For the first few weeks I struggled to find my place but I'd like to say I have a strong personality and a "go-getter" type attitude. I quickly became friends with the makeup artist who let me put on the new lipsticks and fragrance (I was representing the company). I soon got to take part in events that were held within the boutique and set up the merchandise that was sent in from different locations. My first event was the fall preview event in August, about a month after I had started. I was well prepared for the event but was not expecting, none other than, Lady Gaga to come waltzing in with 2 assistants and 2 body guards. It was such an incredible experience watching someone who was loved by all age groups to come in and spend so much money like it was nothing on the most beautiful garments and handbags we had (see my previous post about the whole experience). After this experience and how well I maintained my excitement I knew I was where I was supposed to be. I knew I could handle the experience as well as any upcoming ones in my future.

Working at Chanel I became part of a family. I was able to ask questions without fear of being insulted for not knowing the answer and was able to openly talk with the associates about our personal lives. I always maintained an air of professionalism even when the associates were having a bad day and off their game. I looked forward each day and weekend to coming to Chanel and seeing what would take place.

There was never a bad day, only eventful ones. I was grateful for my experiences and the people I got to meet and learn from. I learned so much about myself in such a short amount of time and left a great impression on people with some amazing connections and knowledge. The last event I was grateful to be apart of was the styling event hosted by buyers from Paris who analyzed the lives of the clients participating. I was able to see how they set up and all the merchandise that was brought in for the event from all over boutiques. It was such an incredible experience and I am honored to have been apart of its success.

My time at Chanel was every bit of a growing experience as it was a way for me to truly believe and understand that this is exactly what I want to do in my future. I thank Chanel for everything they have done and provided for me. I thank them for showing me that I am capable of doing great things in my future. This was only just the beginning.

Now as one door closes another opens as I embark on a new job position at Michael Kors. I am eager and excited for the new opportunity and look forward to learning and growing the same as I did at Chanel.

Where it all began: 

 Fragrance received early on

Items from the fall preview show: 










Some delicious treats from the Styling Event: 

My farewell gift bag: 

The amazing cake I received upon completion of my internship: 


Comments

Popular Posts